Friday, January 3, 2014

First Five Fragments for Friday

Your weekly offering of writing/art prompts.

Happy New Year everyone! I love January. I love its cold and its silence, its open spaces that appear when the holiday decorations are put away, and its long dark nights that encourage us to hunker down, stay home. My fellow Minnesotans may not see this month quite that way, but I am resolved to finding reasons to love each month of the year. It bugs me the way people complain, every single year, about the same things in January: snow, ice, cold, wind. Find something to love about the place where you live.

Here are the first five words that occur to me today as we kick off another year of whatever our creative work is.....

1. Lucky
2. Tenacious
3. Playful
4. Melodic
5. Fierce



Do you have five words that come up as you think about your work for the year ahead? Share them.

kcmickelson 2013





12 comments:

  1. The photo is stunning. Mr. Poe would be proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! I love it when the crows hang around our yard. They are magnificent.

      Delete
  2. It's January and there are geraniums and canterbury beels in my bacm yard and the fennel is growing and I have a snowdrop -- just one but still :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow - you're farther north than we are and all that stuff is growing. That's something.

      Delete
  3. Oh, oh, complainer I am about the January weather here in Minnesota. You caught me.

    Love that photo, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yes, I did catch you! And I am glad you like the photo. I just went out and stocked up on things to cook this weekend during the Arctic blast event.

      Delete
  4. I adore the intelligence and the family bonds between crows. They are ALWAYS welcome here.
    Words for the year?
    I like your tenacity.
    Fun.
    Commitment.
    Quirkiness, and
    Balance (something I often leave out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crows do have amazing skills.
      Quirkiness! I like that.

      Delete
  5. It's hard to love 38-50 below zero weather but I'll try. *Ahem* More excuses to knit and weave! Then wear the results.
    :)
    Love the photo. Very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yes, time to knit more! It's not going to get above about -16 here on Monday and the Governor has already ordered the schools closed that day. I've stocked up on reading material and am giving myself permission to curl up and read stuff - on actual paper. Woo!

      Delete
    2. Today's reading includes the Sunday paper, two cooking magazines, and the New Yorker. I need to finish "Cooked" by Michael Pollan - got to the middle of it and then got distracted with holidays and other stuff! I just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers, and that was quite interesting and little disturbing. Also just finished Snowflakes and Coffeecakes by Joanne DeMaio, which is a light and warm holiday story set in small-town New England.

      Delete